I like brownies and anything that resembles brownies.
For this reason, I love Chocolate Crinkles.
Not only do these cookies taste like brownies, they look like pretty little snow-capped mountains.
Makes 5 dozen. I repeat, 5 dozen!
*1/2 cup vegetable oil
*4 squares unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
*2 cups sugar
*2 teaspoons vanilla
*2 cups flour
*2 teaspoons baking powder
*1/2 teaspoon salt
*1 cup powdered sugar
In a glass bow, melt the chocolate.
What is Baking Chocolate?
Baking chocolate is a strong chocolate liquor that has been hardened with fat and sweetened with sugar. Since it is a more pure form of chocolate, it produces a stronger chocolate flavor in baked desserts than cocoa powder or chocolate chips.
How to melt chocolate in the microwave
If you choose to melt your chocolate in the microwave, follow these steps for the best results:
1. Use a glass or other microwave-safe dish
2. With a large knife, break up the chocolate as much as possible. This will help the chocolate melt faster and more evenly.
3. Heat chocolate for 1 minute and stir. If the chocolate looks like this, it still needs a bit more time.
4. Heat chocolate for 30 more seconds. If at the end of 30 seconds your chocolate is slightly lumpy, do not place it back in the microwave or you will risk burning it!
5. Stir the chocolate until the small lumps melt.
Now, ON WITH THE BATTER!!
Mix the chocolate, oil and sugar together until well combined.
Mix in eggs one at a time.
Set chocolate mixture aside.
In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt.
Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture and stir until well combined.
Dough will be very sticky! Chill overnight or at least 2 hours before shaping.
When dough is chilled, roll into 1 1/2″ balls and then roll in powdered sugar.
Bake on a greased cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees. Do not overbake!
Allow cookies to rest on the cookie sheet for a couple of minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Warning: Chocolate Crinkles are especially tempting when fresh from the oven. Proceed with caution!
All these babies need is some milk!
Cannot wait to share these at my Crazy Cookie Party!
*Store in an airtight container.