I don’t know what’s more difficult:
b. Tackling the small, touch-up projects.
When it comes to screwing on switch plates or painting trim, I tend to think: “Oh, I can finish that anytime.”
Unfortunately, two years have come and gone, and “anytime” just hasn’t happened yet.
As Dave and I head into our third year of home-ownership (August 1st is our house-iversary!), I feel like all those little loose ends will never get tied up if I don’t act NOW.
Therefore, I’m instituting a master plan to tackle the small stuff which I’m calling:
THE MARCH TO AUGUST
Hopefully, with the help of my master plan, I will have completed all of this by August*:
That’s roughly twelve weeks and 30 projects.
Therefore, I need a very detailed master plan so that I don’t waste time wondering where to start.
Wish me luck!
HAVE A LONG TO-DO LIST…but don’t know where to start?
Developing a detailed plan is half the battle and will help keep you focused and on task.
A detailed plan should include:
A photo list of projects needing to be completed.
(Ugly pictures are motivational!)
A specific list of materials needed to complete each project.
(5 yards of fabric, 1-inch angled paintbrush, etc.)
A list of any preliminary steps.
(Measure door frames, sand rough surfaces, etc.)
A time frame for each project including prep time.
(We’re talking minutes and hours: 1 hour to paint trim, 10 hours to reupholster large chair, etc.)
A calendar on which to schedule each project.
(Click here if you need a pretty calendar to help get you in the mood.)
Here’s to tackling to small stuff!
What’s on your list?
(For perspective on loving our homes despite all the small stuff, check out my friend Rita’s post!)
1. Replace doors and install knobs
2. Repair broken (or missing) electrical outlets
3. Caulk and seal around window A.C. units
4. Install A.C. vents
5. Hire electrician to repair staircase lighting
6. Install lighting unit in study
7. Install supplemental shelving in study bookcases
8. Hang curtains in the living room
9. Reupholster green chair #1
10. Reupholster green chair #2
11. Reupholster ottoman #1
12. Reupholster blue chair
13. Swap out dresser in den for a sideboard
14. Finish painting trim & install towel rack in downstairs bathroom
15. Touch up ceiling paint in bathroom and kitchen
16. Rehang doors that don’t shut properly
17. Repair & reupholster ottoman #2
18. Wash & paint and design on living room rug
19. Swap out red rug in den for painted rug
20. Put photos in frames
21. Touch up paint in window seals that were scuffed from window replacement
22. Install switch plates in kitchen and bedroom
23. Touch up around new kitchen lighting units
24. Sand & paint interior of kitchen cabinets
25. Paint & install heating grate in kitchen (it’s currently being held in place by weights)
26. Touch up exteriors of kitchen cabinets.
27. Install towel rack/cubby in master bathroom
28. Install new lighting & vent in master bathroom